Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Radio Station Stats are In for October

Well, I got my statistics for the month, and they are quite revealing. It has been about a month since I changed the station's format slightly. Mainly, I dropped the hour-long meditation because nobody every tuned in for a whole hour. But I also put in very short, 10-minute meditations that were designed to be imaginative journeys taken with your animal companion, or amongst animals.

My listening hours dropped by 1/4, which is big. My station launches are down almost 50%. Now, I suck at numbers, so bear with me. 385 hours is a total of 23,100 minutes in October, spread over 950 people. That's almost 25 minutes each per person over the month.

Okay, November was 586 people listening for 284 hours (17040 minutes). Alrighty, that's 29 minuts per person. So fewer people are sticking around longer.

Now, more 40 people indicated in November that they "preset" the station, basically saying they will come back, than in October. And 1 person said it was a favourite. So it seems like new people, who want to come back. Repeat listeners?

Ouch, my head hurts! So I wonder, is it better to have fewer listeners with more time, or better to have more listeners with just a few minutes less. Hmmm. I guess more is better, right? And why alientate your listener base? Some of them have been very good loyal over the years, it would be pretty nasty to ignore them, wouldn't it? And I'm not a terribly nasty person (just a little nasty, now and then ;)

Well, I think I'll work on a compromise. Meditations that are shorter than 1 hour, change up the music, and maybe do some promo spots for animal rescue organizations, or talk about pets or something like that. Could be fun! So look for some interesting changes over the next month. And if you have questions or comments, know of a worthy animal rescue group, or whatever, drop me a line!

Sue

No comments: